Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Trust In You

It permeates freely through me,
And I give it to all who ask.
They ask a deed or favor,
So I pour it freely from my flask.

Sometimes it is cherished,
Other times it is destroyed.
Yet I give it out time after time,
Fated to have it deployed.

If I give my heart as easily,
Will I be destined to despair?
All I want is trust in return,
An equivalent showing of care.

I do not wish to build walls,
Around my heart and my soul.
So I let all who want inside,
Despite what sufferings take their toll.

But I fool myself to trust,
And take the other person's side.
Trust built upon sand,
Waiting for the next tide.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Mother Theresa's poem that she hung in her room. It's called "Anyways." Just add another stanza -- "trust anyway".

People are often unreasonable,
illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind,
People may accuse you
of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be Kind anyway.

If you are successful,
you will win some false friends and
some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

< If you are honest and frank,
people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building,
someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway

If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis.
it is between you and God;
It is never between you and them anyway.

Unknown said...

Sorry that it's taken me a little while to comment on this poem, but I've been extremely busy. 'Tis the life of a senior, I suppose.

This poem does relate the feelings I have towards putting trust in people pretty adequately. It's said that one shouldn't build a future on dreams, for dreams are soft and fragile. The same can be said about trust. You likened it to quicksand, and it really is. If you struggle to much with it then it will devour you. There were a few word choices that I thought felt kind of awkward, but sometimes that's the price to being confined to a rhyme scheme. When you become a more seasoned writer word choices within rhyme schemes will be easier for you to master. Overall, great effort man. You got your message across and in that your poem is a great success.