Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Imagination

My imagination haunts me,
Presenting fantasies that don't exist.
It fulfills my deepest desires,
Dark secrets I dare not list.

Jumping from one thought,
Instantly in to the next.
With no pause or breaks,
My overwhelmed mind is flexed.

Love, hate, love, death, and love,
Are all conjured so quickly and clear.
They are amounting too fast,
And my reason I can not hear.

Normal people I meet,
Become true love or enemies.
I cannot distinguish, I cannot think,
Blinded by my fantasies.

**This poem has a ton of meaning regarding me within its lines. If you're confused about any of it I urge you to ask in a comment so I can clear up any confusion, as I realize it may be a hard poem to interpret compared to some others. I promote the understanding of this poem moreso than others because it truly does have much more meaning than almost anything I've written up to this point (except maybe Butterflies and Hero).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my take: these fanatasies (in your imagination) are full of ultimatums, judgements,(i.e., blacks or whites; rights or wrongs; with me or against me). fact of the matter is: stuff just "is". when you don't put expectations or limitations or judgements on anything you are truly free of polarity-thinking. Change the "or's" to "and's" and see a different picture of the world. am i close to understanding?

Stephen said...

This is a very good interpretation of what the poem's main message is. There's a little more that I really don't expect anyone to pick up simply by reading the lines, and only those that really know me may know how to interpret it.

The "gray area" of life (not black or white) is definitely something that is prevalent within the poem. The imagination, though, is not simply a home for the fantasies. Rather, it creates them, and the fantasies in turn grow out of proportion, when I KNOW that they are ridiculous.

In short, it is like saying to yourself: "Don't think of a fork, don't think of a fork". You will of course think of a fork in your effort to try and NOT think of a fork, which is a dooming trait of the imagination portrayed in the poem.

Stephen said...

Trying to understand - could it be that the fantasy is what one dreams the "destinations" to be and the reason they go by so quickly with no breaks or pauses is because the person needs to be able to learn to enjoy the "journey" in life and relationships?
Close or no cigar???

Stephen said...

I don't know why it said I posted that last message (weird...). Anyway, it isn't a lack of patience that my imagination is fueled by. I'm able to wait for things to come, and the fantasies don't really mean things that I even necessarily want, and in that sense they tease me, which adds to the frustration.