Friday, February 17, 2006

The Lockbox

**Yea I know this isn't that good. Sue me.

At twenty-two he met his wife,
And they married in an instant.
They enjoyed a simple family life,
While the war waged in lands distant.

He had no son or daughter,
Just his loving wife and home.
On his way to perfect harmony,
'Til that one day he picked up the phone.

Years later he was called to arms,
To fight for the United States.
He would go to distant lands,
While his wife sits here and waits.

Twenty years it waged,
And his wife now terminally ill.
He received a letter from her then,
Written on thin paper with quill.

"Back home there is a box,
That I wish for you to unlock.
The key is in my dresser,
Wrapped up in an old gray sock."

"I will be dead when it is opened,
But please do not be sad.
I want you to love what's in the box,
Even if just a tad".

A year passes and the man goes home,
And rushes to see the box.
He quickly retrieves the key,
And fumbles to get it unlocked.

(He finds a letter which reads:)

"This is my last secret, so please do not be mad,
Please find a way to love him, even if just a tad,
If you don't then most assuredly, my soul will become so sad,
This is the address, the address of your unknown son Chad."

No comments: