Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Inner Madness Screams From Silence

The inner peace of the self,
Is like a stagnant recluse pond.
The chaos of our lives,
Is like the sun on which it has dawned.

Our lives are spent as a scale,
Forever searching to find balance.
Each day it tilts one way or the other,
Swinging back and forth in eternal trance.

We rely on contact with others,
To remind us we are living.
Because in silence we become crazed,
We depend on their generosity of giving.

The inner pond is distrubed,
When Rocks of Lonely are thrown.
The scale of balance is skewed,
When the Stitches of Solitude are sewn.

Our inner madness screams from silence,
So we constantly reach out to obtain,
A scrap of what makes each one of us human,
And keeps our Selves collectively sane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you think it is that when we are with people we want solitude and when we are alone we want people? Doesn't make sense, does it?

Unknown said...

The question from the anonymous person is one that I've considered deep into many sleepless nights for many years. Honestly, I don't know if I'm any closer now to having an answer for it than when I first stumbled across it. I think that when we're with people that we're reminded of what we can never have. Whether it's some physical attribute, some intellectual height, some meaningful relationship, or anything else that eludes our grasp. I think then that people become a kind of mockery of ourselves, unknown to them, of course. But also humans are social creatures. From the time we're born we are given to a communal environment found in our families. Throughout life we form relationships with friends, groups, loves, and other social sects. So when we're alone it feels as though we're being deprived of a part of our beings. Something that we should learn, though, is that we don't always need people to fill a void within our souls. I've taken up meditation. When I'm alone I go into a sort of trance where I'm left with nothing but my thoughts and the world. It's almost a zen like state, though I'm not a Buddhist. So we must find a balance between society and solitude, because at one point in our lives we'll be left alone with one or the other.

And I really liked this poem. It spoke volumes in the lines you provided.