Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My Thoughts of Valentine's Day

It only comes once a year!

That's the general opinion on every holiday that occurs throughout the 365 days we call a year. Yet Valentine's Day is perhaps the one that gets on my nerves the most. Now, now, now, it isn't because I've never actually been in a relationship on Valentine's Day (which is true) and that I am bitter at every person in the world who possesses love. It would be quite evil of me to despise those who are in love on Valentine's Day just because I don't happen to be. Instead of being such a monster, I dislike it for a different reason, and here's why:

First of all, what is Valentine's Day
supposed to be? I mean seriously, what is it? A day where you show that special someone how much they mean to you? My mistake, I thought that you kind of did that as much as possible anyway, without having to designate a day to do it. A day to give your loved ones chocolates and roses, and fancy pink and red cards with glitter? You can do this on any other day of the year, and the surprise attached to such an unexpected act will yield far greater results than doing it when the other person is expecting it.

Basically I just think that if you truly love someone you should try your best to always love them in the best possible way you can. Valentine's Day shouldn't be a day where you try and make that loved one in your life feel special and great, because every day should be like that. While
some couples do act this way, others act this way sparingly, if at all. But hey, I can't complain too much because Valentine's Day gives me the chance to write entries like this, and to write poems like the ones below.

Do you really want to make that special someone in your life feel great? Then tomorrow morning tell them "I know it isn't Valentine's Day, but I want to let you know that I love you with all of my heart, and I don't need a specified day to tell me that", or something of that nature. I guarantee that will make them feel better than any red rose, almond chocolate, or cheesy "Be Mine" card ever would.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, you write more than most people I've come across. What's that, 3 poems and a blog entry in one day? Hah, I dig your literary thirst man. It's a good thing I've subsribed to your RSS feed so I can keep up with you.

And I agree with you about Valentine's Day. I think that it's a bastardized play on the human condition and guilts people into showing affection when in deed it should be displayed throughout the year. I've posted a poem that I wrote yesterday that kind of describes how I feel about V-day.

Stephen said...

lol thanks. What can I say I just like to write <_<

I'll check out your poem and comment on it.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more... just thinking that today, couples should definitely bring romance (or just simple acts of kindness/love) into everyday instead of one day out of the year!