Friday, February 17, 2006

A Quick Note

Some recent things I have written have been two things:
  1. Not that good
  2. Dark in theme
While I can't explain why all the sudden I'm not writing as good (although I think I have an idea myself) I can explain why the sudden outburst of dark themes.

It isn't because I'm depressed, which is usually the source of much sad poetry. It isn't because I'm angry, or upset, or disturbed. It isn't because I'm a freak who is obssessed with death, suicide, and the tragedy of others. Consider for a moment that everything I write probably has happened before. I'm not writing anything that doesn't occur in the real world. I could write just about the wonderful goodness of our world, and Love and all that, but it wouldn't be showing both sides of the realities that we live in. In order to portray an accurate picture of how I view the world, I'm going to have to post some dark poetry in order to balance the positive side of life I view. So don't take it too seriously, too personally, or with too much thought. These dark poems are meant to do one thing: Touch you on a deep emotional level. Whether that is stringing good cords or bad ones isn't of my concern. I just want to move people emotionally. I just want to be a decent poet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yin/Yang concept originated in ancient Chinese philosophy and metaphysics, which describes two primal opposing but complementary forces found in all things in the universe. Yin, the darker element, is passive, dark, feminine, downward-seeking, and corresponds to the night; yang, the brighter element, is active, light, masculine, upward-seeking and corresponds to the day. While I respect and understand the "yin" in all things, I don't like to dwell on it. :)

Anonymous said...

Let your goodness shine through in your writing! Ask yourself, "what is right with me today, what have I noticed that peaks my senses and alerts me to good things in the world?" Did a man open a door for a lady, did you see someone laugh or a child smile? God gives us hints as to his love and caring for us all. The key is to be in his play, not watching from the audience!!

Anonymous said...

I love ALL your poetry and writing. But if you are truly trying to "balance" light and dark, the scale is tipping heavily on the dark side! I'd like to hear about some of the happier things in life - whether your own or the world in general. If you just aren't feeling it, though, then just keep writing what makes you feel fulfilled.