Thursday, March 02, 2006

Writing Only Goes So Far

There's a reason I didn't call,
But you wouldn't understand.
I wish I was exciting,
But I'm nothing but boring and bland.

I'm told I can write,
But that's no big deal.
Simple words on a page,
Cannot my heart steal.

Instead of calling,
I write to you here.
What keeps me from speaking,
Is some unknown fear.

Shy and reserved,
But a great person overall.
What a tragedy I hide,
A masterpiece in hidden hall.*

My conscience runs deep,
Through miles and miles of my soul.
It skips a step where my heart's supposed to be,
As if it were a little lump of black coal.

---

*Masterpiece is hidden hall is alluding to a great work of art in the form of a painting hidden in a hidden hallway. The painting is magnificent and amazing, but no one will ever get to see it because it is secluded away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have a beautiful heart! i disagree with your comment. it's obvious in your poetry that you are sensitive and caring. your fear of rejection is very real. lots of us have felt that fear. hopefully as you gain experience/confidence, you'll realize that this is an unfounded fear. you will come to rely on your own "personal power" that comes from knowing your own worthiness. you belong in this world as much as the next person -- with just as much right to creatively express yourself as YOU SEE IT.

Stephen said...

What I meant to say was that the only empty part of me exist in my heart. Perhaps using coal to symbolize an empty heart wasn't too great, but you have to rhyme somewhere <_<