Saturday, March 04, 2006

My Disease

The disease that I have,
Is I care a little too much.
I love you and them,
And that and such and such.

So when you feel pain,
I surely will feel it, too.
My disease never dies,
For each day it's born anew.

Why do I feel for others?
What a silly question to ask.
If I don't - then who will?
No one wants this taxing task.

But I take it nonetheless,
Knowing it must be someone's job.
Even if it steals my heart,
And my sanity it might rob.

Someone has to carry the pain,
Whether a friend or a Giver,*
Even if it rocks my mind,
And causes my soul to shiver.

---
*The Giver is a book about a person who controls all the emotions and such thoughts (both good and bad) for a society. Thus he carries with him the burden of having all the negative feelings of pain, war, and the like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you have a disease. I think you're an empath.

Empath Character Traits:

~Feels emotions often and deeply
~Keenly aware of other peoples feelings
~Easily hurt or upset by insults or unkind remarks
~Avoids conflicts and confrontations
~Cannot easily release sad or upset feelings
~Feels deeply for others suffering and pain
~Prone to recurrent depression
~Keenly aware of, and affected by beauty (art, music, nature)
~Feel overwhelmed or depleted by too much stimuli
(large crowds, loud noises, hectic environments)
~Was sensitive as a child