Friday, September 29, 2006

Proof

I told you I was going to eat,
and then I left. The night air
was extremely cool
and I unfortunately had only a shirt.

It was an enjoyable cool however,
if not slightly foreboding.
Instead of turning back,
I decided to face fate that night.

I walked down to the Taco Bell
while listening to Hikaru.
Her soothing Japanese voice
was warning me to go back.

The lights of the parking garage,
behind where I lived, were like
bright warning lights.
But I didn't notice until later.

I ordered a chicken quesadilla,
even though the last one made me sick.
I was given order #13.
Then I got my food and left.

On the way back I noticed
that there were no stars in the sky.
Thinking it odd, I stopped,
and before I knew it, there he was.

He told me to freeze,
then held a gun to my chest.
He said to give him my wallet,
so I raised my fists to fight.

He insisted he would shoot me,
but hadn't done so thus far.
I thought of you for a moment.
About how sad you'd be if I died.

It was odd - that little moment.
Part of me wanted to die,
just to see if you'd miss me -
just to see if you really loved me.

Well, I do really love you,
so I did as he said.
I reached in my back pocket,
to grab my wallet in surrender.

I put out my hand,
and punched him straight in the jaw.
Walking back I smiled and thought,
about how hard you were going to hit me
when you found out what I did.
All because you really love me.

No comments: