Sunday, September 24, 2006

Butterfly Sestina

It's not the first time I've been all alone.
Nor is it the first that I've missed you,
and the moments we spent together.
I spend this lonely day inside
watching over a single butterfly,
floating around outside in the air that's so cold.

I wonder if the butterfly is cold
from the weather, or from being alone.
How I wish to embrace the solemn butterfly,
and clutch it tight as if it were you.
It would be warm by the fire inside,
and at last we could be together.

My mind churns as my hands rub together
to keep my blood from getting cold.
I try to forget the feelings inside
that make me feel so alone.
I glance towards a portrait of you,
my last remnant, before going back to the butterfly

sitting on the window. Suddenly, the butterfly
is joined by a friend, and they sat there together.
I look a little more at the butterfly, then the visage of you,
and suddenly I don't feel so cold.
Perhaps, like the butterfly, I'm not really all alone.
Perhaps there's a piece of you still inside

of this room. Your smile emanates inside
my living room as I notice the butterfly
is now here with me. No longer alone,
I smile as we sit by the fire together
and let the warmth of love thaw the cold
thoughts that once surrounded my memory of you.

Now when my thoughts turn to you
I do not weep, but look inside
of my heart, where sweet, cold
pearls of memory blossom like premature butterflies.
I know we may no longer be together,
but that does not mean that I'm alone.

It isn't a bad feeling having those butterflies
fluttering around on the inside.
It reminds me that I'm not alone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Butterflies - they are so fragile and beautiful - so how can they cause so much havoc in our lives AND our stomachs? New situations and old situations can cause them to flutter until we feel we can't take it any more. Maybe the fluttering is God's little way of saying, "yes it IS scary and new, but I'm here with you and you can do anything or talk to anyone with Me here beside you." Or maybe it is just your very own reminder than you are strong and can overcome any sadness and adversity that comes your way. Beautiful poem.

Anonymous said...

you write so beautifully. do you have anything published in local newsletters or magazines on or off campus? if not, you should. your thoughts are deep and profound, and the words you chose to express them are like stabs to the heart when you're writing about sadness, or like smiles on lover's faces when you're writing about joy or hope. i'm sure others would benefit from them.