Thursday, September 07, 2006

My Roommate and I

It was so late, and so dark,
the night I became a rapist.
I sodomized his inspiration,
with noise, as my phallus.
He did not shed any tears then,
but his soul wept.

Committing an unforgivable sin,
I'm sure to him, I became a demon.
I persisted so very ignorantly,
until, abused, he submitted defeat.
There perhaps subsists a society of poets,
that would have me put to death.

That night it was as if I tore,
the stanzas straight from his heart.
He cries now, saying he could have created,
the most remarkable Full Moon.
Said he, "It would have evoked beautiful tears,
to passionate eyes."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I stupid? I don't understand the underlying meaning of this poem. Would you please enlighten?

Stephen said...

I shouldn't change this too much more.

It's about writing a poem and having someone making too much noise. The person isn't able to concentrate and thus cannot write the poem. I relate this act of destroying inspiration to rape - a very graphic and negative act - for effect. The person says the poem was about a full moon, and had they written it, it would have been so beautiful it would have made people cry. But now it will never be written, for such magnificent inspiration rarely chances upon us.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thanks for explaining it to me. Hope you don't have too many "noises" in your space, because you really need to keep writing.