Monday, July 31, 2006

Realization

Ever since we were little,
In a world of make-believe and pretend,
You've always been there for me,
As one of my best friends.

I remember our first day of school,
When we helped each other with chores.
And that day I forgot my lunch,
You let me borrow some of yours.

When I blew the big game,
And was facing shouts and jeers,
You said "Good job for doing your best",
Which is all I wanted to hear.

Many, many years later,
After I fell for Nancy Jane,
You were there when it was over,
To piece together what remained.

I still recall the night,
You called me crying on the phone.
Wondering if love existed,
Or if you were truly all alone.

I remember beating up your boyfriend,
And then throwing him in the creek.
You cried and I consoled you,
Tending to the bruise on your cheek.

All these years have passed,
And I think I realize,
The feelings I've had for you,
So long wrapped in disguise.

Unlike a sister, mother, brother, or father,
I'd like to confess my true feelings to you.
If you want to convince me miracles exist,
Then tell me you feel this way too.

No comments: