Monday, June 26, 2006

With Each Mile

With each mile that I drive,
Further away from my dream,
Something inside is pulled apart,
So slowly that it makes me scream.

I become dissected mile by mile,
Trying not to look behind at my past.
Yet I'll occassionally glance in my mirror,
And see all I love disappear so fast.

My heart begins to thud heavily,
As if it's trying to reach the brakes.
Yet my stubborn foot refuses to yield,
No matter how painfully that it aches.

Deep down I know it's best,
For both the dream I had and me,
To try and live in the unknown future,
And not in the grip of futility.

I never knew that saying good-bye,
Could ever be remotely as hard as this.
But I am glad that I gave you the chance,
To finally see that I exist.

I think you knew all along,
Sorry its become so prolonged,
I didn't want anything to go wrong,
And I think that I took too long.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a tug of war with your dark side and light side, sounds like in this case the "light" side is winning... i like that. know what i mean?

Stephen said...

I hope it is, too.