Wednesday, August 23, 2006

What Is This Feeling?

If I've helped a friend,
And done something right.
Then why am I shaking,
And my stomach tight?

Deep down exists a truth,
Struggling to break free.
I focus to push it back,
In and out, one, two, three.

Do I only help for praise?
Like a gun filled with blanks?
Is that why I get upset,
When you fail to say a 'thanks'?

I wasn't meant to help others,
With an attitude so amiss.
I can't even tell myself,
Why I seem to act like this.

If I get mad at you,
Who will console me on my behalf?
Saddened by the thought,
Of a friendship I shouldn't have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i believe that you do things for others because it is what God / the Universe wants us to do. To do it selflessly makes it an even greater gift that the help itself. praise is not needed - you know what you did. and praise or thank-you's sometimes are not left out on purpose - they just didn't think to say anything. Being helpful and kind is never a wasted endeavor.

Anonymous said...

manners are still nice to have. unfortunately this society is seeing them less often. say thanks and help us stay civilized. we lead by example. so, thanks for the poem. it was thought-provoking!