Monday, January 30, 2006

You're So Lucky

**This may not apply to exactly everyone who reads it persé, but taking in to account everyone I know of that even reads this blog, it suits that audience.

You're such an incredibly lucky person. Yes, you there, the person reading this text. Let me guess, you are probably at your own personal computer, or at a library of some sort. I can also probably guess that you are not starving, that you are wearing moderately clean clothes, and that you've showered (I hope) today, or yesterday. You also probably don't have any diseases, and you are probably in a moderately healthy condition. If you wanted there is probably a place you could go to this instant to receive food - just like that. If you got sick there is a doctor that you can visit, or a hospital that will take care of you. What is the worst thing that happened to you today? If you said nothing, then you're lucky. If you said something, then ask yourself if you have to deal with that every day of your life, or once in a blue moon.

You're probably already well aware of the fact that you are a fortunate person. Your family might even say grace before eating dinner. You're
aware that you are lucky, compared to others in the world, but I bet you do not take full advantage of what has been given to you. What are things you do not like about life? What gets on your nerves? These things are bound to all be trivial. I won't say that I do not complain about stupid things in life, because I do. That makes me somewhat of a hypocrite. However, I do realize fortune when it is given to me, and I am fully aware that I possess it. A simple fact is that our quality of life can change based simply on where we are born. Be fortunate that you were born in a place that offers a hospitality that others can only dream about.

More than that, don't just be fortunate, be eternally grateful. Don't let a day pass where you don't realize how lucky of a person you are to have such a wonderful life. You can call life a process of living, but others in the world have forty or less years to live, and thus can not do the same. When you permit the subtle nuances of your life to bother you and annoy you, you lose sight of the fact that your life is great and beautiful. Seeing people complain in this manner irks me (and I hope others, too) because they are annoyed at a ten minute traffic jam, a cell phone in a movie theater, or a long wait at a restaurant. What tiny, miniscule, insignificant things to upset your mind with!

All I ask is that you be aware of how lucky you are. Be aware of how great your life is, and how love exists everywhere around you. Be aware that your problems are ones that do not threaten your existence, only the enjoyment you derive from it. Be aware that to be given the ability to dream and strive is not a commonality shared by all, but a privilege that has been given to you. Most importantly, be aware that no matter what happens you will always be a lucky and privileged individual, and to always be eternally grateful for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this. I needed to hear it.