Thursday, January 26, 2006

Neighbor

I peek through the blinds, and there I see,
A girl moving in, with a slew of family.
So beautiful, and tender, how I wish to know her taste,
I wonder if she's like the others, if she too will leave with haste.

A week later, I know everything about the darling,
Her clothes, her hobbies, her pets who are snarling.
Much time we spent together, never let her out of my sight,
And the best thing of all, was not once did we fight.

We got along quite perfectly, with no problems or qualms,
We soon even bathed together, for I loved her soft palms.
But a terrible aching plagues my heart, for a secret I do keep,
And if she were, to find it out, alone I would be to weep.

I know I must tell her, soon in the future, or now,
But I must enjoy her company longer, being alone I cannot allow.
I still see her every day, and of each other we still care,
All the while my consciousness pulls me, to a secret I must share.

I plan the day to tell her, to let her in my heart,
Afraid she will reject me, and run away with a start.
Tomorrow is the day, when I am absolved of my sin,
Tomorrow is the day, when her heart I shall win.

I am nervous as I approach her, palms and forehead sweaty,
She looks at me quite frightened, and for this I was not ready.
She did not know that I knew her, or the events of her life that had arisen,
Fifty-four may be too old for her, but not too old for prison.

**I took the inspiration for this poem from another writer who did a prose piece of a similar situation.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

For those who don't get it, the guy was an old man who was spying on a little girl who moved in next door. He stalked her for a while until finally confronting her telling her that he loved her. This obviously lead to him spending time in prison.