Friday, October 13, 2006

Picnic

This lazy August afternoon offers us its grace,
filling the air beneath the large oak tree with warmth,
and permitting the birds to sing while we eat.

The blanket is cushioned by the grass,
and warm and cozy to the touch.
Out of courtesy for our privacy the ants leave us alone,
and the bumblebees find elsewhere to buzz.

Clouds scoot across that amazing color of blue,
and a light wind acts as a kiss from Mother Nature.
The smell of the flora reaches my nose,
and I close my eyes, thinking it must be heaven.

God has created the opportunity for all of these things to exist,
all of these beautiful, wonderful things.
But I think his best work of art to date,
is sitting right here on the blanket with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your use of imagery is amazing! really enjoyed "seeing" the park in your poem.