Friday, January 26, 2007

I know very well my place in life. I am to breathe air from the trees for approximately seventy to eighty years, perhaps shorter - unlikely longer - and then die. The actions in between may lead to the betterment of others or my surroundings, or they may not. Years after my death my time spent here will have been insignificant to the current events of the world. With time, any conventions will disappear. There is no reason I am alive. There is no purpose I have been given. I can give myself goals, and attempt to define the meaning of my existence, but ultimately that is my own self-actualization at work. In truth, from birth to death, there is no reason for me to live, other than to live. Some call this ultimate freedom. Realization of mortal boundaries. Others call it blasphemy, and condemn me to flames of hell. Yet when one realizes there is neither a reason to live, nor a purpose to life, something occurs. They tend to treasure their time all the more, seeking out to identify parts of themselves that up until that point have been left blank. We are all filling in the blanks of our lives, every day. You can choose to be happy or sad, to laugh or cry. You can choose to shelter yourself and quietly live out your insignificant existence of this world. You can make a difference and be immortalized in high school text books. Yet mere remembrance is not a proper measure for life fulfillment. The only person who has the power to ensure your short time of living is at least somewhat meaningful in even the most minuscule of contexts - is you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my life seems tough or uncertain I tend to think that I am just here to live and die. But we all have to come to a point where we say, I am capable of making my life important and I am capable of being happy in this world. thanks for writing this. :)

Anonymous said...

Some say that we are all here for a reason. Some know that reason very early in life and some are still searching for it when they are very old. Often it is others in our life that have to give us ideas of what our reason may be. We are often too close to ourselves to see it. I think the reasons can be very small or very large. I,personally, think you may have been put here to show others the importance of living a life that is truly yours - not what others may wish for you - and I think you were put here to be a great husband, friend, and father. You will be such a great dad - so tolerant and loving. Just my humble thoughts.

Anonymous said...

i like that post. i can relate to it as i'm sure many others can

Anonymous said...

I've always believed that only through knowing yourself can you begin to know the rest of the world, and I stand by that philosophy. You can't live your life for anyone else, the second you do is the second that it stops being your own volition guiding you through the miasma that is existence. Seek not guidance but be the guide that others seek. The torch bearer often stand in the shadow of the light, but is a little darkness to dear a price to pay for resolution? Also, shadow and light can many times be a trick of the eye, chew that cud over for a while, if you will.