Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Family of De La Cruz

I scrub toilets and clean floors all day,
just so my kids can go to school,
and my family has food to eat.
My hiring manager told me
no one else wanted the job.

I come home and smell like chemicals
so I take a shower to get the smell off,
but I'll never get it off my clothes.
I re-heat the meal my wife made my kids,
and then go to their rooms where they sleep,
and kiss each of them on the head.
If it's still only Monday, I'll have to wait
several days until the weekend to be with them.

I go out late to buy some milk,
so the kids can eat their cereal in the morning.
A man tests my 20 dollar bill at the register,
to make sure it isn't counterfeit,
and on the way out the cart attendent calls me a 'Spic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately oppression and crime go hand in hand. It isn't difficult to comprehend criminals doing virtually anything to make ends meet, even if it includes breaking the law and maybe even their own morals.

Yet there are still those who endure tirelessly through their burdens just to make ends meet for themselves and their families. Still staying true to themselves and what they believe in despite being in their seemingly neverending cycle of discrimination and poverty. These people are truly admirable and inspirational.