Monday, May 08, 2006

To Protect Something

To protect something that you love is perhaps the greatest gift that God gave to humans. We are able to give our only life that has been given to us, in order to prolong the lives of others. We can do this not only because it is the way we have evolved, but because many of us are naturally good creatures. I will use this space to encourage you to find something in life that you will protect with your life. This will be something that means more to you than your life.

If you cannot think of such a thing, that does not mean that you are selfish. It simply means that you have not lived enough yet. I believe that finding such an object in your life is a part of going through life. Everyone should have someone or something that they are willing to lay down everything for. Soldiers do it for their country, parents have done it for their children, and lovers have done it for lovers.

Would you die today for someone that you love? Does there exist an individual that you would give your life for, to know that they could continue living? Perhaps there never will be such a person in your life, or perhaps that person will never know. But to protect that which you love with that which you use as a means to live, is not a power given to the weak. A goal that I want everyone to have, is to find something they wish to protect, and protect it with their lives.

Without anything worth giving your life for, you have nothing to protect. Without anything to protect, you live to exist. If you live to exist, then you have already lost sight of what it means to live. Living is not about breathing air, eating food, and having your heart pump blood. It is about the constant realization of the changing state of the universe, and your efforts to force that change to go in a positive direction. You can do this by protecting things which are dear to you, and protecting them with your life. There are people who read this that I would die for, and they will never know.

It is not selfish to not want to die by protecting something or someone else. It is human nature to want to live. It is upon freeing yourself from this fear however, that you truly begin to live. I am not saying that people will completely free themselves from the fear of dying. This fear innately comes with the hearts and minds that we possess. It is knowing that your death will not come without some sort of purpose or meaning, and that your passing will merely cue the continuance of something much greater. This continuance of life will always exist so long as there are people out there who wish to protect something or someone.

What do you wish to protect?
Love?
Pride?
Honor?
Or perhaps...
A life,
with your own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For you - for Carla - for Dad - I would give up my life if it would save yours. I don't question that for a minute. I would like to say that I would do the same for all members of my family, but since you 3 are my world - it would be hard to leave you behind. I might, though, if I felt you would all be okay. My love for you means I would do anything to help you - IN ANY WAY.